Thursday, March 11, 2010

Little hike for today

Today was a free day.  A few people decided to go with Jon to Thames for the day, while the rest of us hung out here for the day.  Nico and I went on a little hike up a ridge right near the house.  It was short, but we took our time looking at the views and trees.  We passed some puriri trees that were over 7' in diameter and were 800-1000 years old!  We also came out to a really nice (and random) lookout.  Check out the picts, they are really nice.

Also today, I met our neighbor.  The dogs were in their run and barking and then I hear some guy whistling on the side of the property.  He was looking for Jon, but I told him he wasnt around.  The guy didnt look happy, and I thought he was going to complain about the dogs barking.  I went down there and he says "Do you like apples?" yes "Do you like pears?" yes  "Well come with me" Okay! Do I need a bag?  He pulls two plastic bags out of his pockets.  Well then.  I felt like a kid being lured by candy from an evil stranger.  Turns out David (using all 5 letters of the name) was a nice retired old Brit/Kiwi.  I went over to his yard and he gave me bags of apples and pears that he picked right in front of me.  This was a very pleasant surprise!

Past few days of projects I've started building a cabin in the woods.  I am really excited about getting to build more stuff.  I'll have to get some pictures of the progress to show off.  But for now, bye bye!

1 comment:

  1. How does one reciprocate a bag of apples and pears? Can you gift him some flax?
    That sounds pretty lovely.
    -DR

    ReplyDelete